June 22nd, 2010 | Published in Google Analytics, Google Conversions
A couple of weeks ago, we announced the Conversion Champion Challenge, a contest challenging you to get your ROI in shape for the summer by using free AdWords conversion products & submitting a mini case study about your experience. It’s not too late to enter and compete to win the grand prize – an AdWords voucher and a trip to Google!
Whether you’re just getting started or are actively working to get your conversion rate in shape, here are some best practices for getting the most out of two of the free AdWords tool in the Conversion Champion Challenge: Conversion Optimiser & Search Funnel reports.
Tips for using Conversion Optimiser
*This analysis compares the performance of Conversion Optimiser campaigns over the course of a year with a control set of campaigns and represents the average impact of Conversion Optimiser. The actual impact will vary from campaign to campaign.
Tips for using Search Funnel Reports
Save time by letting Conversion Optimiser manage your bids to reach your ROI goals (On average, campaigns that use Conversion Optimiser experience a 21% increase in conversions and a 14% decrease in cost-per-conversion ).*
- Choose to bid using the metric that you’re most comfortable with: Target CPA or Max CPA
Set different CPA bids for each Ad Group if conversions in one are of more or less value to you than conversions in another.
- Let Conversion Optimiser run for a couple weeks to give it a chance to acclimate to your campaign’s performance.
- Test it on just one campaign if you’re not ready to make large scale changes to your account. If you ever choose to disable the product, you’ll be able to return to the Max CPC bids that you had previously set.
- Learn more and check out these success stories from advertisers who have used Conversion Optimiser.
- Run Search Funnel Reports within your AdWords account to gain insight into which ads and keywords users clicked on leading up to a conversion.
- Identify keywords that play a key role in the conversion process and ensure that you’re bidding competitively
- Identify low value keywords, those that you're paying for but aren't leading to conversions, and decrease your bids accordingly.
- Use the Time Lag and Path Length reports to understand how long (time and number of searches) it takes before conversions typically happen on your site. This can help you determine how long to run your campaigns.
- Learn more about Search Funnels at this help centre article and also check out upcoming Conversion Room posts where we'll deep dive into how Search Funnels can help you gain further AdWords ROI insights
We can’t wait to hear about your experiences with these useful tools, so let us know how it goes by entering the Conversion Champion Challenge.
Posted by Alan Wrafter, Google Analytics Team.