There’s no question that yesterday’s ad tech trend, programmatic buying, is here to stay. Programmatic spending is expected to reach $21B worldwide in 2014, according to Magna Global. To understand how the move toward programmatic buying is impacting the advertising industry, DoubleClick recently commissioned a study on the topic with Advertising Age. Here’s what we found.
- More advertisers are demanding it:
- 41.6% of surveyed advertisers (including marketers and agencies) indicated that programmatic is top of mind when designing a media plan. This is a marked shift from previous strategies, where it was primarily considered at the end of the media buying process.
- 2 years from now, marketing departments will be the primary advocates for programmatic buying; currently, the media buying arms of agencies and marketers are responsible for it.
- Cross-platform reach is believed to be the primary benefit of programmatic buying for advertisers, followed by increased operational efficiency, and better relevance in messaging
- Publishers are adapting for a programmatic world:
- For nearly 25% of the publisher respondents in the survey, programmatic selling is top of mind when responding to RFPs
- 72% of publishers surveyed would sell more inventory programmatically with stronger cross-platform support
- Publishers expect an 11.17% rise in CPM growth rates in the next 2 years
- The growth of programmatic is contingent upon the evolution of the advertising ecosystem:
- Transparency is key to adoption by buyers and sellers
- Inventory quality, ad fraud management and the move to programmatic premium will drive higher-value advertising
- Cross-platform support will help marketers and sellers realize the true potential of one-to-one engagement
- Read the full report, along with perspectives from industry leaders from Vivaki, UM, Fox News, New York Times.
- Get the high-level picture in the infographic supporting key findings
- Stay tuned for details on a webinar featuring Kellogg’s Aaron Fetters, Director of Analytics and Insights to hear why and how they’re increasing their investment in programmatic technologies.
Posted by Yamini Gupta, Product Marketing Team