October 20th, 2008 | Published in Google Webmaster Central
You know how some myths just won't die? Well, do we have some great news for you! A not-so-scary bunch of Gooooooooooooglers will be on hand to drive a stake through the most ghoulish webmastering myths and misconceptions in our live online "Tricks and Treats" chat this coming Wednesday.
That's right! You'll be treated to some brief presentations and then have the chance to ask lots of questions to Googlers ranging from Matt Cutts in Mountain View to John Mueller in Zurich to Kaspar Szymanski in Dublin (and many more folks as well).
Here's what you'll need
- About an hour of free time
- A computer with audio capabilities that is connected to the Internet and has these additional specifications
(We'll be broadcasting via the Internet tubes this time rather than over the phone lines)
- A URL for the chat, which you can only get when you register for the event (don't worry -- it's fast and painless!)
- Costumes: optional
What will our Tricks and Treats chat include?
- INTRO: A quick hello from some of your favorite Help Group Guides
- PRESO: A 15 minute presentation on "Frightening Myths and Misconceptions" by John Mueller
- FAQs: A return of our popular "Three for Three," in which we'll have three different Googlers tackling three different issues we've seen come up in the Group recently... in under three minutes each!
- And lots of Q&A! You'll have a chance to type questions during the entire session (actually, starting an hour prior!) using our hunky-dory new Google Moderator tool. Ask, then vote! With this tool and your insights, we expect the most interesting questions to quickly float to the top.
When and how can you join in?
- Mark the date on your calendar now: Wednesday, October 22, at 9am PDT, noon EDT, and 5pm GMT
- Register right now for this event. Please note that you'll need to click on the "register" link on the bottom lefthand side.
- Optionally post questions via Google Moderator one hour prior to the start of the event. The link will be mailed to all registrants.
- Log in 5-10 minutes prior to the start of the chat, using the link e-mailed to you by WebEx (the service hosting the event).
- Interact! During the event, you'll be able to chat (by typing) with your fellow attendees, and also post questions and vote on your favorite questions via Google Moderator.
We look forward to seeing you online! In the meantime, if you have any questions, feel free to post a note in this thread of our friendly Webmaster Help Group.
Edited on October 21st at 12:15pm and 12:29pm PDT to add:
We've decided to open up the Google Moderator page early. Everyone who registered for this event previously and everyone registering from this moment on will receive the link in e-mail. Also, the event is scheduled for *5pm* GMT (correctly listed on the registration page and in the followup e-mails).
Written by Adam Lasnik, Search Evangelist