May 14th, 2009 | Published in Google Earth
As always, great detective work everyone! In case any left you stumped, here are the answers and our list of updates.
1) I remember back in my school days having learned a poem by a German writer about the disaster of a rail bridge in the 19th century in northwestern Europe that collapsed in a heavy winter storm while a train was crossing it.
Tay rail bridge, Dundee, Scotland
2) A large, mythical lake often shrouded in mist. Legend has it that a sea snake about 60 feet long lives in this lake.
Loch Ness, Drumnadrochit, Scotland
3) This artificial lake in Europe became famous for starring in the opening of a James Bond movie in which a bungee jump was performed.
Lago di Vogorno, Ticino, Switzerland
4) A spaceport in the jungle. Several European space agencies - federal and commercial - conduct rocket launches from here.
Guiana Space Centre, Kourou, French Guiana
5) A large national park in the continental U.S. that is mainly covered by tempered rain forest and glaciated peaks is now entirely visible at the resolution of at least 1m per pixel.
Olympic National Park, Washington, USA
6) This section of motorway in Europe closes a small gap but runs across a bridge which is currently the tallest in the world with a maximum height of 270 meters.
Viaduc de Millau, Midi-Pyrénées, France
7) This is a very popular tourist location on the pacific side of North America.
Puerta Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico
8) Finally, this last image shows a part of the sculpture park of this European city. The sculptures show human figures.
City of Oslo, Norway
- USA: Muscatine County (IA), Parts of Champaign County (IL), Parts of Benton County (AR), Parts of Washington County (AR), parts of Washington State, and parts of Michigan
- Mexico: Puebla, Toluca, Puerto Vallarta
- Brazil: Porto Alegre
- French Guiana: Northern Coast
Europe, Middle East, & Africa:
- Great Britain: Large parts of Scotland and considerable amounts of England
- France: Departments of Seine-Maritime, Calvados, Val-d'Oise, Yvelines, Essonne, Seine-et-Marne, Aube, Yonne, Sarthe, Vosges, Territiore de Belfort, Vienne, Haute-Vienne, Charente, Charente-Maritime, Cantal, Aveyron, Aude, Bouches-du-Rhône, Saône-et-Loire, Haute-Savoie, Savoie, Martinique (Caribbean Sea), Mayotte (Indian Sea)
- Italy: Costa Smeralda (Sardegna), Genova (Liguria), Milano (Lombardia), Lago Maggiore (Piemonte/Lombardia)
- Spain: Cádiz
- Switzerland: Engelberg
Asia & Oceania:
- New Zealand: Palmerston
New 2.5m base imagery for: Southern India and Western Paraguay.
New Terrain for: Contra Costa County, Paris, Copenhagen, Dallas, Houston, Jacksonville, Lisbon, Madrid, Memphis, Mexico City, Miami, Minneapolis, Nashville, Orlando, Phoenix, Portland, Sacramento, Sevilla, St Louis, Tampa, and Toronto