User policy management and control over services are now available to Google Apps domains in more languages and editions
October 7th, 2010 | Published in Google Apps
More Google Apps administrators can now segment their users into different organizations and control which Google services are enabled/disabled for each of those different sets of users.
- Allows creation of organizations in a tree-like hierarchy
- Manage membership of users into one organization
- Specify policies for which services are on/off by organization
Standard, Premier and Partner Edition
Arabic, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Czech, Danish, German, Spanish, Finnish, Filipino/Tagalog, French, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Dutch, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Portugal), Portuguese (Brazil), Russian, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
How to access what's new:
The Control Panel tab ‘Users and groups’ now becomes ‘Organization & users’. Click on this new tab to create a new organization.
To create organizational units:
1. In the organizational tree, highlight the organizational unit to which you want to add a child.
2. Click the ‘Add suborganization’ button..
3. Enter a name and description for the new organization.
4. Click the ‘Add organization’ button.
5. The new organizational unit appears as a child of the organizational unit you selected at step 1.
To enable/disable services for specific users:
1. Services that are disabled on the main dashboard will be disabled for all users.
2. Click the ‘Organizations & users’ tab.
3. Select the appropriate organization.
4. Click the ‘Services’ sub-tab.
5. Click ‘On/Off’ to change service settings or if it's a sub-organization, click 'Override this setting' or 'Use inherited' links to change settings.
Note: Standard and Partner Edition domains do not have the ability to create suborganizations.
For more information:
Users and Organization: http://www.google.com/support/a/bin/topic.py?hl=en&topic=14578
Service settings: http://www.google.com/support/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=182442
Get these product update alerts by email
Subscribe to the RSS feed of these updates