October 2nd, 2009 | Published in Google App Engine
This week, Google App Engine and Twilio challenge you to build voice or voice-enhanced applications hosted on App Engine that use Twilio's voice application API to make and receive phone calls. Submit your app by October 4th to win a Dell Netbook from Twilio and $1000 of App Engine hosting credit from Google.
Twilio hosts a telephony in the cloud web service, allowing web developers to build scalable, reliable voice communications applications on web hosting platforms like Google App Engine. Put Twilio and App Engine together and you can build voice applications with features, scalability, and reliability that companies used to spend millions for.
What Are Voice Apps?
Voice apps can be as sophisticated as an airline flight status hotline or a company PBX, or as simple as getting the weather by phone. For inspiration, check out what previous contest winners have built:
- Advocate a Cause: Mobile Commons
- Get Answers on the Go: Ask-a-Human w/ Mechanical Turk
- Get in the Game: ExcitementLivesHere.com
- Have Some Fun: Phone Simon
Tips on Getting Started
- Get Started with App Engine for Java or Python
- Learn how Twilio works or read our Twilio Quickstart
- Check out an example Python/AppEngine Twilio application with source code: Weather by Phone
- Twilio has libraries for Python and Java to help you get started.
Where to Submit: http://contests.twilio.com/submit-your-twilio-project.html
Deadline: October 4th at MIDNIGHT (Pacific Time)
Prize: 1 Dell Netbook from Twilio and $1000 in Google App Engine hosting credit
Questions? Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org
Guest Post by Danielle Morrill, Director of Marketing, Twilio